[geeks] good source of cooling fans (for computers)

Wed Feb 21 11:39:07 CST 2007

>>> 12V 0.52A
>>> 1200-2400 rpm (power supply controls speed)
>> *How* does the power supply control the speed?
> It varies fan speed based on its own power consumption.

That's a "what", not a "how".

> It's not a temperature controlled fan if that's why you are asking.

No, I was asking because "12V 0.52A" doesn't include any variability,
and you need *some* kind of variability in order to control fan speed.
But now that you've explained more, I see that question as pretty much
irrelevant.

> Higher rpm fans have a higher amp rating, and I need a high rpm fan
> (relatively speaking).

Ah.  Perhaps you should be looking at rpm ratings, or perhaps even cfm
ratings, instead of current-draw ratings?  It sounds to me as though
that's closer to what you really care about.  (Any fan not given such a
rating probably isn't of sufficiently high quality to satisfy you
anyway...or at least is being sold by too low-quality a seller.)

>> Have you considered taking a fan that draws less current and
>> sticking a resistor in parallel with it?

Now that you've explained what's behind the spec you gave, I can see
that this is not suitable - I was just trying to match the electrical
characteristics you gave, because that was all you gave....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca