[geeks] good source of cooling fans (for computers)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 21 05:50:26 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 21:55, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I need to locate a 120 mm fan for a power supply.

What is this P/S used in? Might it not be easier/cheaper to find a
replacement P/S than just a Fan? Personally, if the fan is starting to
fail, I think I'd start to question the entire P/S...

Of course, there are many situations I can think of where a replacement
fan is cheaper than a replacement P/S and this more than likely is one
of those situations, but I am curious.

Also, when you say the power supply regulates the speed of the fan, I
take that to mean the power supply varies the voltage supplied tot he
fan - is that correct? That would mean the fan is just a simple fan,
with no on-board logic, right?

I've not bought replacement fans for my machines, and the only times I
have bought fans would be at places like CompUSA or Microcenter to add
80 CM fans to PC cases. CompUSA carries a 120 MM fan, but the quality
would be suspect. Have you looked at mouser or digi-key?

Digi-Key: http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/en/pdf/Current.html

Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/

Mouser has a great interactive catalog, you can specify the dimensions,
voltage, and CFM for the fan and it will tell you what they have...

Hope this helps,

Lionel