[geeks] New Mail Client

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Feb 15 13:35:43 CST 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:08:46 -0600
Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com> wrote:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > - sylpheed is most certainly not a lightweight program.  It is using
> >   80MB on my system right now.  Smaller than Thunderbird, yes, but
> >   hardly a light program.  I don't see how you guys ever used it
> >   on small machines.
>
> That's the first time I've heard anyone call Thunderbird lightweight!

Where did I saw Thunderbird was lightweight?

I think you need to read my post again.

> On my desktop it's taking up 170MB *right now* and I've seen it up to
> 1GB.

It's 200MB on mine.

> > - imap folder list has to be manually updated to show new folders or
> >   remove old ones, update is painfully slow.  Thunderbird also fails
> >   to automatically update the folder list.  If mutt can do it, why
> >   do the GUI MUAs have so much trouble?
>
> Folder subscriptions?

I don't use them.  What are they really for?

I did try them once, but:

I can't subscribe to a folder which doesn't exist yet, and with
procmail automatic filtering I can't always know when they will be
created or what their names are.

Also, folders can disappear, and I find that MUAs that use
subscriptions can get confused when that happens.

mutt reads the list of folders instantly and displays them.  I don't
see why a GUI MUA could not do that.

--
shannon           | The determined programmer can write a FORTRAN