[geeks] Fun Topic: What do you carry?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Dec 24 21:53:30 CST 2007

Fun topic for discussion (happy holidays, everyone) - what do you folks
carry around every day, gear-and-gadget wise?

Here's my list, with pictures if you care to see them.

My every-day pocket carry:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/2134727430/

iPhone w/rubber sleeve, Timbuk2 nylon walet, Leatherman Juice, Emerson
CQC7-BW-SFS folding knife.  Not shown:  medic-alert "dog tags", keychain
(on a carabiner), P38 can openers on both the keychain and dog tags, Photon
LED Microlight on my work ID lanyard

My current "every day carry" pack and minor-emergency bag:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/2134727512

It's a Zitelli Z1 MOLLE Pack, $30 off amazon.  18"x10"x10" with lots of
pockets and compartments.  Not shown:  Change of clothes in the middle
compartment and some programming texts.

Contents as packed in the top two pockets of the bag:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/2133948101

Pair of Mechanix gloves, and a couple of small-sized stuff bags with
drawstring closures from REI.  I wanted Pelican cases, but these worked out
better and were $3.50 instead of $17 each.

The actual contents of the stuff bags:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/2133948239

Top row:
Silva compass
16oz Nalgene water bottle
two AMS "Heat Sheet" emergency blankets
50 feet of 550 cord

Bottom row:
Katadyn water purification tablets
Two 12-hour glowsticks
Small Moleskine notebook
Cold Steel Voyager folding knife (used to be pocket carry,
	replaced by the Emerson)
Gerber multitool (I don't like Gerber, but got it free from a friend)
Retractable utility/box knife
9-LED (3xAAA) flashlight
Heavy-duty carabiner
Emergency whistle
Adventure Medical waterproof ".3" first aid kit with tons of extra stuff
added (bought it for the zipper bag more than anything else)

Not shown:
Fisher Space Pen
Lighter (I don't smoke, but they're useful)
SAS Survival Guide Handbook (pocket-sized)
Handheld 2M ham radio (only when needed)

Later this week (once it arrives), I'll replace the Z1 pack with a
CountyComm Gen5 BailOutBag:

http://www.countycomm.com/BAILOUTBAGGEN5.htm

It's more of a "laptop bag"/briefcase style bag.  The way I've got things
packed into the two stuff bags, I can move it all between the Z1 pack and
the BOB as needed depending on what else I need to carry around.

For an actual laptop bag, my Macbook resides in a Sumo padded sleeve, and
that all goes into a "small" Timbuk2 custom messenger bag.

So, what do you folks carry, pockets, bags, or otherwise?

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas