[geeks] Ubuntu JeOS

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Dec 25 00:07:30 CST 2007

On Dec 24, 2007, at 7:46 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just came across this, and I thought others here might be
> interested in it
> as well - it is a minimal Ubuntu 7.10 build, only the drivers
> needed for a
> VMware install. It is a 151 Meg install and runs in 128 Meg of
> "RAM", and I'm
> just starting to play with it...
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/jeos
>
> For single-function VMs, it seems like a nice idea.

I can't wait to have a good excuse to try it.

FWIW, Ubuntu Server versions 6.06, 6.10, and 7.04 all work nicely as
VM OSs.  We have a few running happily with as little as 32 megs of
RAM at work.

We haven't had any reason to set up a new VM since this came out though.

I wanted to try this at home, but I wanted to try the latest version
of VMWare server, and I'm having some user privilege annoyances with
this that I don't recall having at work.