[geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 00:38:58 CST 2007

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:38:20AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> It's a mystery to me how anyone manages to play Halo on a game console
>> controller.  Then, the Grand Theft Auto franchise is huge, and I don't
>> know how anyone manages to drive anything in that on a game console
>> controller without crashing either.
>
> My middle son has no problem driving a car using the controlers
> with GTA 3 on our PS/2.
>
> He played Need For Speed Carbon with keyboard and mouse. We had
> a joystick on his computer to play Combat Flight Simulator,
> but it interfered with NFS and he did not like CFS nor
> playing NFS with the joystick.
>
> NFS has since been deleted as he has moved on to other games.
>
> Some people get used to it, some don't.

I used to hate controllers, too.  Then I found some games I liked enough
that I played more, and I've gotten a lot better.  I find while I don't
like certain things about the controllers I have, I don't hate them like
I did at when I first started playing consoles.

Of course, I suck at FPS, so never play those on consoles or computers,
and the notion of a RTS like Age of Empires or similar on a console with
just a controller is too ridiculous to contemplate.  No hot-keys for
grouping? I'm not into masochism in my entertainment, thanks.

=Nadine=