[geeks] [rescue] IP KVM?

Mark Hermsdorfer mark at hermsdorfer.net
Thu Dec 6 11:11:49 CST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 9:04 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for a recommendation for an IP KVM that I can attach to a
> very LOUD rack-mount PC, in order to keep the head on the kids' desk but
> move the damn box outside into the rack.  Needs to support USB keyboard
> and mouse, and needs to automagically handle VGA mode switching up to
> about 1280x1024.  Remote sound would be nice too, but I can run a 1/8"
> audio line alongside the Ethernet line, no problem.
>
> It also needs to not cost too much.  On the other hand, it only needs to
> support a single machine.
>
> Any recommendations?
>

> (Yeah, I'm also going to see if I can quiet the damned thing down by
> swapping in quieter fans, but I don't know how much I can accomplish
> there.)
>

> --
>  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
>  Renaissance Man, Unix ronin, Perl hacker, Free Stater
>  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
>          It's not the years, it's the mileage.

I think a less expensive solution would be a 'console extender' and not an
IP KVM.  This won't allow you to run it over your ip network, but will allow
you to simply run a cat5 line from the computer to the console.

for example:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1221627&CatId=601

It lacks audio but you may be able to use a usb audio card.  It's also
expensive... at $275 it might be more cost effective to put together a cheap
computer.

For what its worth that's my two cents.

--
Cheers!