[geeks] IP KVM?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Dec 6 10:03:32 CST 2007

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> It needs to go about 40 feet, maybe 50 as the cable runs.  I haven't
> measured exactly.  I don't think I can even *get* a regular KVM cable
> that long.  (I do have a KVM already, but I don't believe it'll work
> over that kind of distance.)  I could possibly shorten the distance to
> about half that by swapping the kids' desk in question with mine, but
> that'd put the kids in the cold corner of the room, which I'd sooner not do.

We have some KVMs that have cat5 cabling, and have breakout adapters for
plugging into the servers.  I don't know how well they would do with
higher resolutions, or distances greater than what we have in our racks,
but that would certainly be less expensive than an IP KVM.  Also, all of
the IP KVM's that i have used (which is only a couple of models, so
there could be plenty of other options out there) need software running
on a PC to connect to them, so you would need a PC at the kids desk
anyway, at which point you might as well use VNC for your application.

    -Dan Sikorski