[geeks] IP KVM?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Dec 6 09:44:34 CST 2007

Dan Sikorski wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> I'm looking for a recommendation for an IP KVM that I can attach to a
>> very LOUD rack-mount PC, in order to keep the head on the kids' desk but
>> move the damn box outside into the rack.  Needs to support USB keyboard
>> and mouse, and needs to automagically handle VGA mode switching up to
>> about 1280x1024.  Remote sound would be nice too, but I can run a 1/8"
>> audio line alongside the Ethernet line, no problem.
>>
>> It also needs to not cost too much.  On the other hand, it only needs to
>> support a single machine.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>
> How far away from the rack is the desk?  Would a long, shielded KVM
> cable do, without the switch?  I do that to get the display from
> machines in my rack into the next room, where my desk is on the other
> side of the wall.

It needs to go about 40 feet, maybe 50 as the cable runs.  I haven't
measured exactly.  I don't think I can even *get* a regular KVM cable
that long.  (I do have a KVM already, but I don't believe it'll work
over that kind of distance.)  I could possibly shorten the distance to
about half that by swapping the kids' desk in question with mine, but
that'd put the kids in the cold corner of the room, which I'd sooner not do.

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
          It's not the years, it's the mileage.