[geeks] Global Warming questions...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 2 22:04:13 CST 2007

Hello all,

I've been thinking about it lately, and I have a few factual questions that I
don't know how to look up the answers to.

First off, my questions are based on the fairly simple-minded understanding
that plants "convert" Carbon Dioxide to Oxygen (photosynthesis) - there may be
more to it, but for my questions, I think that description suffices...

First off, how much carbon dioxide does an average human "throw off" in a
year?

Second, how much greenery (trees, grass, etc.) are needed to convert that much
carbon dioxide back to oxygen?

My thought is that if someone wants to claim to be carbon-neutral, you have to
start with securing sufficient plants to "scrub" your carbon dioxide output
back to oxygen. THen we can talk about buying carbon credits for cars, planes,
etc...

Lionel