[geeks] Global Warming causes...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Dec 2 18:59:27 CST 2007

From: "Arno Kletzander" <Arno_1983 at gmx.de>

> wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> > Still can't fathom how a radiation particle can create a solid particle
> > of any appreciable size.  Have to look that up.
> >
> > Bob
>
> As to actually creating a solid particle, I have no idea how that would be
> possible. However, "aerosol", although etymologically meaning _solid_ particles
> suspended in a gas (as in smoke), it also often used referring to mists
> (droplets of liquid in a gas - what actually comes out of an "aerosol can").
> "Creating" droplets of liquid (or rather, causing them to from out of
> oversaturated vapor) is something totally different, it's the principle of the
> Wilson Cloud Chamber - ionizing radiation ionizes molecules in the atmosphere,
> which act as condensation nuclei.

I don't why my brain got stuck on solid particles.  Cosmic rays could create steaks but I guess you have to have the right conditions to do that.  I wonder how that would compare to the production of clouds by passing jet planes.   If it's anything like a cloud chamber, the trail doesn't last too long.  As some one said previously, it might reflect light and reduce warming.  In this world of less is more, that would make sense. :)

Bob