[geeks] Discuss this quote...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Aug 30 08:35:28 CDT 2007

> > Well I was thinking more along the lines of machine shop / rebuilding
> > engines, the same type of stuff you'd do in "shop class" or at a
> > vocational/technical school.
>
> In that situation you're pretty much going to get fed as little as
> possible of the over-arching theory though, as they are teaching to
> the lowest common denominator.  From what I saw of the VoTech classes
> I've went through, the people who actually grok those elements are
> few and far between and often do not include the teachers.
>
> On the other hand, there are occassion gems.  But you usually have to
> put up with a lot of crap as well.  I'd suggest asking around your
> friends and co-workers to find a some shade-tree mechanics and start
> hanging out with them.  At least that way, you won't have to pay for
> the privilege of learning, and in fact might make some if you show an
> aptitude.
>
> =Nadine=

I was going to suggest the same thing.  My mechanic (who also happened to be a former student) learned the same way and has found mechanics who come from some of those "trade schools" are usually worthless.  He is now "apprenticing" a young fellow who is interesting in learning to be a mechanic.  I guess then he only has to worry about getting people to pay their bills and delaing with how they make "design" cars these days.  (My wife's MPV deserves a rant larger than Mr. Bill's bandwidth :) )

Bob