[geeks] What's old is new again...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 30 08:37:47 CDT 2007

>From: wa2egp at att.net
>Date: 2007/08/30 Thu AM 08:25:51 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] What's old is new again...

>> I'd love to see a "new" lunchbox form-factor, with the new Niagra T2 CPU
in a
>> small, desktop chassis with a couple hot-swap disk bays (4?)... 64
execution
>> threads (8 threads per core, 8 cores per "chip") - yum.
>>
>> Lionel
>
>Problem would be heat I guess.

I'd imagine it as a "mini" 1U server, push fans in front, pull fans in back,
but large enough to avoind the "wind tunnel" effect. Also, if you isolate the
HDs and PS from the CPU "cavity", you can probably keep the noise pretty low.

>Unless they put the mother board (or design part of it) upside down so the
CPU would use the metal case as a heat sink similar ot the way ham rigs have
external heat sinks for the finals.

That would be another way to go... I don't think the CPU throws off that much
heat (minimizing heat was a design consideration, IIRC)

>I have one of those old "book" PCs.  Haven't used it in years, even forgot
what was in it but it was not much bigger than an IPX.

I've got one too - the darn thing failed to boot several years ago, and I
never tried to revive it - I should crack it open and either fix it or part
it out...

>Also playing with a Fujitsu Stylistic C-500 tablet.  Not a speed demon but
functional and small. Doesn't even look like a laptop.  Beginning to find it
a lot easier to carry than my HP ZV6000 laptop and I don't always need to
play Doom 3. :)

Yes, you do. ;^)