[geeks] What's old is new again...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Aug 30 08:25:51 CDT 2007

> I'd love to see a "new" lunchbox form-factor, with the new Niagra T2 CPU in a
> small, desktop chassis with a couple hot-swap disk bays (4?)... 64 execution
> threads (8 threads per core, 8 cores per "chip") - yum.
>
> Lionel

Problem would be heat I guess.  Unless they put the mother board (or design part of it) upside down so the CPU would use the metal case as a heat sink similar ot the way ham rigs have external heat sinks for the finals.  I have one of those old "book" PCs.  Haven't used it in years, even forgot what was in it but it was not much bigger than an IPX.  Also playing with a Fujitsu Stylistic C-500 tablet.  Not a speed demon but functional and small.  Doesn't even look like a laptop.  Beginning to find it a lot easier to carry than my HP ZV6000 laptop and I don't always need to play Doom 3. :)

Bob