[geeks] Goodbye, I guess

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Aug 30 00:48:22 CDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:05:46PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:

> Aside from the fine cooking you'll get in an Amish household, I'd
> have to agree--camp food is ok for a bit, but nothing is quite as
> tasty as my grandma's recipe for caramel dumplings.

But there is something that people think is soothing about eating in
the style where human language consited of "hunt. kill, cook" and
a few descriptions of bodily functions.

I probably would be a lot healthier if I had chosen the other choice
but at some time I decided I wanted to spend my time off eating food
I was unable to cook, seeing things I was unable to create and
going places I could not walk to.

I decided that a place without a private toilet was just too primative
for me. :-)

> Although, Amish don't proselytize.

They are smart enough to know that it would not work. Their lifestyle
requires faith. If you have it, you stay. If you don't you leave. In
between, you can cause a lot of trouble.

> My father left his family at that age and went out on his own (he
> wanted to attend school).  He ended up joining the Army and is an old
> school electronics geek.

Did he get a ham license?

>  I haven't been able to convince him to
> learn *NIX, though he still has functional C= computers.  He never
> would pony up for the Amiga, oddly enough.  I still don't think he
> understands just how much I know about computers, because I dismiss
> his interest in Windows. ;-)  I only do it because it irks him.

Sadly, I've had to accept that my family are Windows fans. My wife
never took to a Macintosh, and none of my children will.

They do like their playstations, but that's just pop in a disk and play.

My oldest son was part of the company to build Linux based handhelds,
but he never did anything with it but select games and play them.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838