[geeks] Goodbye, I guess

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 00:05:46 CDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 6:37 AM, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>> The more I work with computers, the more something like that sounds
>> like a SOOTHING VACATION.
>>
> This is why some local geeks that i know take their vacation hiking in
> the mountains, or canoing.  I think that going the Walden route
> would be
> better than going the Amish route.  I'll take the simplicity
> without the
> religion, personally.

Aside from the fine cooking you'll get in an Amish household, I'd
have to agree--camp food is ok for a bit, but nothing is quite as
tasty as my grandma's recipe for caramel dumplings.

Although, Amish don't proselytize.  They are anabaptists--and left
Europe due to the persecution they received for not baptizing at
birth.  This is part of the reason that the kids seem a little wild--
they don't make the choice to stay in the church until 16.

My father left his family at that age and went out on his own (he
wanted to attend school).  He ended up joining the Army and is an old
school electronics geek.  I haven't been able to convince him to
learn *NIX, though he still has functional C= computers.  He never
would pony up for the Amiga, oddly enough.  I still don't think he
understands just how much I know about computers, because I dismiss
his interest in Windows. ;-)  I only do it because it irks him.

=Nadine=