[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Tue Aug 28 01:50:33 CDT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 22:59, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> When I was first putting together the business plan for a "high tech"
> company mostly employing hardware and software "geeks", I planned
> on filling a room with old compters (mostly "big iron") and
> making it a play room. :-)

That'd be pretty sweet.

Myself, ever since hearing about them crazy hippies in California,
I've always wanted to do a colocation cooperative. Allow people a
place to actually use their machines - big iron or 1U - and build a
community around it. I think it would be especially neat to have our
own building so that people could have physical access, and so that
we could have different rooms for different purposes, like

  - a computer museum made from dead machines so you could touch the
insides
  - a recreation room for LAN parties
  - a library for tech books with big easy chairs and a fireplace

> Like the "ball room" at Ikea, but for grown ups.  :-)

I hear that at Google, they *have* a ball room for grown ups. :)

  - Micah