[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 28 07:26:35 CDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 01:50:33AM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

> Myself, ever since hearing about them crazy hippies in California,
> I've always wanted to do a colocation cooperative. Allow people a
> place to actually use their machines - big iron or 1U - and build a
> community around it. I think it would be especially neat to have our
> own building so that people could have physical access, and so that
> we could have different rooms for different purposes, like

That sounds good and California is a good place to do it. Lots of
people with both the interest and the disposable income to fund it.

You might even be able to get a foundation to fund it.

>   - a computer museum made from dead machines so you could touch the
> insides

A "please touch" computer museum? Sounds interesting.

>   - a recreation room for LAN parties

A coffee shop with WiFi would do just as well and support the
organization. Ethernet cables run through the ceiling would be nice for
Lan parties. You set up sockets in the ceiling and drop cables during
Lan parties or if someone brings in an old computer to use or demo.

>   - a library for tech books with big easy chairs and a fireplace

That would be nice, but a fireplace is a big expense and hard to maintain.
Xerox's PARC had bean bag chairs, but that was the 1970's. My kids
have them, but I could never figure out how to sit in them.

> I hear that at Google, they *have* a ball room for grown ups. :)

IMHO that's "yuppie" instead of "geek". Looks good to the investors.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838