[geeks] power connector suggestion?

Fri Aug 17 13:49:10 CDT 2007

> I'm trying to building something that needs a "universal power
> connector."  [...]

> The power runs at <=5V, and <=2A.   The connector needs to be:

> * snug (pref with a locking tab so as to prevent it vibrating out)
> * small (<= .5" ideally)
> * connector on the power regulation side inside the project box
> * dead obvious (e.g. not look like the DC plug going into the device)
> * rugged (bare pins are out)

There's a four-pin connector with a latch that I've seen used with some
peecee motherboards to carry some of the power lines.  I've seen
similar things with other pin count, but can't recall specifics.  Maybe
browse through the connector section of a digikey (or similar) catalog?

> Writing this, I'm just realized RJ11 or RJ45 might be potentials--
> anyone know what power levels they can handle?

I suspect they can carry rather more than they can make/break.  Does
this connector need to make/break under load?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca