[geeks] power connector suggestion?

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:46:44 CDT 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 11:49 AM, der Mouse wrote:

>> I'm trying to building something that needs a "universal power
>> connector."  [...]
>
>> The power runs at <=5V, and <=2A.   The connector needs to be:
>
>> * snug (pref with a locking tab so as to prevent it vibrating out)
>> * small (<= .5" ideally)
>> * connector on the power regulation side inside the project box
>> * dead obvious (e.g. not look like the DC plug going into the device)
>> * rugged (bare pins are out)
>
> There's a four-pin connector with a latch that I've seen used with
> some
> peecee motherboards to carry some of the power lines.  I've seen
> similar things with other pin count, but can't recall specifics.

Those are commonly used in vehicle wiring.  They are sometimes
referred to "Hitachi" connectors, but have another ("correct") name
which I can't recall at the moment.  I have considered them, but I
have yet to see any that flush mount to a chassis.

> Maybe
> browse through the connector section of a digikey (or similar)
> catalog?

Doing this over the web is a PITA (slow).  I guess I'll see if I can
track down a pdf of their paper catalogue.

>> Writing this, I'm just realized RJ11 or RJ45 might be potentials--
>> anyone know what power levels they can handle?
>
> I suspect they can carry rather more than they can make/break.  Does
> this connector need to make/break under load?

I guess I'll have to go look up some phone line specs and see what I
can decipher.

Not sure what you mean by "make/break"?  Disconnect if yanked?  No,
it's preferable that it doesn't disconnect unintentionally.  If you
mean fused, there will be a fuse between the power regulator
circuitry and the input power, as the input power can vary a bit
under load.

Thanks for your input--
=Nadine=