[geeks] power connector suggestion?

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:17:40 CDT 2007

Hopefully some of you folks with electronics building experience make
a suggestion to me.

I'm trying to building something that needs a "universal power
connector."  Most of what I am doing I've figured out, but I am not
familiar enough with various power connectors to really even search
for what I need.

What I need is something similar to the wall-wart "universal"
connector they have at RatShack, where you swap out the head of the
plug for different DC devices.  But, rather than just swapping the
head, I want to swap a whole cable, as I think this is "safer" to
prevent potential loss of the cable (vs. a dinky part on the head).

I can find all the plugs to go into devices, but I'm stumped as to
what to use for the connector at the other end where I am regulating
power.  The power runs at <=5V, and <=2A.   The connector needs to be:

* snug (pref with a locking tab so as to prevent it vibrating out)
* small (<= .5" ideally)
* connector on the power regulation side inside the project box
* dead obvious (e.g. not look like the DC plug going into the device)
* rugged (bare pins are out)

Writing this, I'm just realized RJ11 or RJ45 might be potentials--
anyone know what power levels they can handle? Most of the stuff I've
looked at on line are either huge (3.2"/>20A monsters) or plain old
DC power jacks/plugs.  Maybe some variety of 2-pin molex plug if I
can find one that can be mounted in such a way as to put the stress
on the enclosure rather than the circuit board.

Thanks for any advice--
=Nadine=