[geeks] Let say you wanted a small, small, PC...

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Sun Aug 5 14:38:55 CDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 02:10:23PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> >     http://www.fit-pc.com/index.htm
> >
> >2 Ethernet ports
> >uses 5 watts
>
> 500 MHz "Geode" CPU, 256 Meg RAM, 40 Gig notebook HD - $285
>
> Being kind, I think a "geode" CPU would feel like a similarly-clocked P3 CPU, and the 256 Meg RAM is not expandable, forcing this to be an embedded/special-purpose system - the Intel mini-ITX board is very expandable, and runs at about 25-35 watts (based on my review of various sites, including an HD and 512 Meg RAM).

If you're going to go geode, the new soekris board (5501) is in the same
ballpark, and in general their products have a good name:

net5501-60, 433 Mhz CPU, 256 Mbyte DDR-SDRAM, 4 Ethernet, 2 Serial, USB
connector, CF socket, 44 pins IDE connector, SATA connector, 1 Mini-PCI
socket, 3.3V PCI connector.
net5501-70, 500 Mhz CPU, 512 Mbyte DDR-SDRAM, 4 Ethernet, 2 Serial, USB
connector, CF socket, 44 pins IDE connector, SATA connector, 1 Mini-PCI
socket, 3.3V PCI connector.

$290-350 for just the board, no hdd or case etc - but look at how many
ethernet ports you get...

http://www.soekris.com/how_to_buy.htm

Jonathan.