[geeks] Amiga 2000 acelerator card?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sun Apr 29 18:08:22 CDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:37:53PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sun, 29 Apr 2007 @ 15:20 -0500, Michael Parson said:
>
>> I'd love a Mac Pro, but I don't have the spare cash these days.  I
>> love my G4 and recently got a Black MacBook with my tax refund.
>
> Same here.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a decent G4. However, even they are out of my
> price range right now. Those things really hold their value in the
> market.
>
> I was hoping the newer Macs would drive their prices down, but that
> doesn't appear to have happened.
>
> I've sold about $240 worth of stuff on eBay, which is pretty much my
> G4 fund right now. I think a dual 1GHz machine would be really nice
> for most of my desktop work.

My G4 was $240.  It's a 733Mhz 'Digital Audio' tower.  I had the right
RAM modules laying around to max it out at 1.5GB and have since moved
all the disk to external firewire, since the internal IDE is only ATA/66
and can't handle the smallest disk I could find at Fry's the last time I
needed to buy one.

> Have to dig and see what else I can sell off to some poor SOB... :)

For most stuff, it's fine, though I wouldn't mind a few more cycles for
some stuff here or there (video-editing being the primary one).  I just
dont' play that many games any more, so the lack of them on the platform
doesn't bother me much.

I use my Macbook at work everyday, I run Windows on my job-provided
laptop and Parallels on the Macbook for my Linux dev environment.  I
have a few Windows VMs that get fired up when I need to test under them,
or have some program that just doesn't have a reasonable Mac or Linux
version readily available.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org