[geeks] Amiga 2000 acelerator card?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 29 16:36:31 CDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 03:20:37PM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
> Absolutly.  My A3000 wound up with 16M in SC ZIPs, 2 1gig HDs, a Picasso
> IV 64bit graphics card, 2065 ethernet, 3.1 KS ROMS, and AmigaDOS 3.1.

I'm probably going to stuff a 4G HD in the 2000, as I think it's the
smallest size I've got in the "junk pile" at the office.  Will play with
soft-ROMming the KS3.1 ROMs until I can get the wife to let me buy a
proper set. 8-)  Then I gotta somehow come up with AmigaOS 3.9...

> I'd love a Mac Pro, but I don't have the spare cash these days.  I love
> my G4 and recently got a Black MacBook with my tax refund.

I've gotten rid of everything except:

- the iMac 20" Core Duo (2G/250G/250G/SuperDrive)
- a white Macbook Core Duo (2G/60G/SuperDrive)
- an Athlon64 (3200+/GeForce 7300GS) Windows box running XP that I use for
  occasional games and ripping DVDs with DVDShrink.  It's turned off most
  of the time.
- Dell SC420 (Celeron 2.53/2G/320G, Solaris x86) that does nothing but
  rsnapshot backups of my colocated server and a couple friends' machines
  (I'd *really* love to replace it with a quieter/slower small-form-factor
   system if anybody wants to trade...)

I've got an Alpha 164LX system that I switched to be all-IDE and intend to
eventually local Tr64 and then run OpenGenera on, but if the OG "port" to
64-bit Linux gets more polished, I'll run that and give the Alpha away.

For the most part, I quit "rescuing" systems after I moved to Houston two
years ago.  This was caused by having to get rid of so much hardware when
we left the Austin house.  Nowdays, if I want to play with VMS, etc, I'll
tend to just use emulation on the iMac.  I'd not even turned on the
Athlon64 Windows system in over a month until last week when I needed to
make backup copies of some DVDs.

The main reason I'm sidestepping my "policy" and going for the Amiga 2000
is because I always wanted one when I had an A1000, and it's not costing
me much (although I'll end up spending a couple hundred bucks eventually
for the PS/2 keyboard and mouse adapters, and maybe a network card and a
faster or better accelerator).  The Amiga was also the last system that I
really played video games on, if you don't count Wolf3D and all the
derivative first-person-shooters on PCs through the years.

Plus, E-UAE on the Mac *just isn't the same*.  Wish I could figure out
how to get 1024x768 32-bit desktops going with it though.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas