[geeks] Amiga 2000 acelerator card?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sun Apr 29 15:20:37 CDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 03:56:35PM +0100, Mark wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2007, at 00:33, Michael Parson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 04:15:28PM +0100, Mark wrote:
>>> Yeh, sorry. Rule #1 of Amiga hardware - it's usually expensive :o\
>>
>> Which is why I eventually gave up maintaining my Amiga stuff.  I
>> looked at how much I'd spent on it over the previous year and
>> realized I could have had one hell of a PC rig, even if it was a PC.
>
> I'd scare myself silly if I totted up the total cost of my Amiga
> rigs. That said it'd have been a lot more without some of the very
> generous donations I've received from members of the UK community.
> The Amiga community is one of those places that you need good friends
> and sources, or you end up with either no kit or no money :o).
>
> They are expensive, full of idiosyncrasies and at times are just plain
> argumentative... and people wondered why they were named after the
> Spanish word for 'girlfriend' - I couldn't think of anything more
> fitting myself ;o)

Absolutly.  My A3000 wound up with 16M in SC ZIPs, 2 1gig HDs, a Picasso
IV 64bit graphics card, 2065 ethernet, 3.1 KS ROMS, and AmigaDOS 3.1.

I've got Amiga UNIX install bits here too that I'm going to attempt to
install one of these years.

>> I finally kicked that habit and am back on the expensive computers
>> kick.
>>
>> This time, with Macintosh. ;)
>
> I started out my retro jaunt with old MAcs, but compared to ant Amiga
> the old 68k MAcs make pretty pale comparison, unless you get into the
> big stuff, like the Quadra 950 or 840av, or hot-rodding Mac IIs. You
> wouldn't believe it but that can get almost as expensive as Amiga
> stuff, especially now the upgrade components are starting to get
> rarer.

Well, I picked up a Quadra 950 a few months back...  I got a WGS 95 card
for it too.  I also want to install A/UX on it.  I've not fired it up
yet, so I don't know how much RAM it has in it, the SIMMs aren't labeled
well enough for me to figure out and I'm kinda lazy.  I've got a bag
full of 4M 32pin SIMMs, 64M worth, that came out of my SS2, I think they
should work in the Quadra.

> Of course I use modern Macs too, and although the initial layout is
> usually fairly large I've found the TCO in my own cases a lot lot
> lower than PCs. Of course if anything my previous Macs had an easy
> life compared to my PCs which all get thrashed to death with gaming.
> That's sorta reversed now I have a Mac Pro.

I'd love a Mac Pro, but I don't have the spare cash these days.  I love
my G4 and recently got a Black MacBook with my tax refund.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org