[geeks] Amiga 2000 acelerator card?

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 09:56:35 CDT 2007

On 29 Apr 2007, at 00:33, Michael Parson wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 04:15:28PM +0100, Mark wrote:
>> Yeh, sorry. Rule #1 of Amiga hardware - it's usually expensive :o\
>
> Which is why I eventually gave up maintaining my Amiga stuff.  I
> looked
> at how much I'd spent on it over the previous year and realized I
> could
> have had one hell of a PC rig, even if it was a PC.

I'd scare myself silly if I totted up the total cost of my Amiga
rigs. That said it'd have been a lot more without some of the very
generous donations I've received from members of the UK community.
The Amiga community is one of those places that you need good friends
and sources, or you end up with either no kit or no money :o).

They are expensive, full of idiosyncrasies and at times are just
plain argumentative... and people wondered why they were named after
the Spanish word for 'girlfriend' - I couldn't think of anything more
fitting myself ;o)

> I finally kicked that habit and am back on the expensive computers
> kick.
>
> This time, with Macintosh. ;)

I started out my retro jaunt with old MAcs, but compared to ant Amiga
the old 68k MAcs make pretty pale comparison, unless you get into the
big stuff, like the Quadra 950 or 840av, or hot-rodding Mac IIs. You
wouldn't believe it but that can get almost as expensive as Amiga
stuff, especially now the upgrade components are starting to get rarer.

Of course I use modern Macs too, and although the initial layout is
usually fairly large I've found the TCO in my own cases a lot lot
lower than PCs. Of course if anything my previous Macs had an easy
life compared to my PCs which all get thrashed to death with gaming.
That's sorta reversed now I have a Mac Pro.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>