[geeks] Shrinking the Sun Farm

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Tue Apr 24 19:41:44 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Tue, 24 Apr 2007 @ 11:09 +0200, Jonathan Groll said:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 05:53:06PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> Sun, 22 Apr 2007 @ 14:27 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:
>>
>>> I would not mind having a desktop Sun and KVM it with my PC. I guess it
>>> would be easiest if the Sun in question used PC keyboards and mice.
>>>
>> Have you thought about running synergy (its in pkgsrc)? It allows you to
>> control multiple machines running X from a single workstation with a
>> single keyboard and mouse.
>
> Yes, for simple things and basic X.  It's one of my projects for this
> week.
>
> However, I don't like the latency and performance hit, so for actually
> getting a machine and using it as a desktop, I rather be directly
> connected.
>
> Synergy is something I've been meaning to look at, maybe this week.

It's not so bad - I used it for a while to share keyboards between my
laptop and desktop.  The only performance hit I noted was when Outlook
(on the desktop) had to crank up when the thing would lag and stutter a bit.

I did give it up - my work cube is not laid out for three monitors so I
was spending a lot of time cranking my head through 90 degrees* of
motion to go from terminal to Outlook and back.

*exaggeration but not by much.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod