[geeks] Shrinking the Sun Farm

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 26 14:31:49 CDT 2007

Tue, 24 Apr 2007 @ 19:41 -0500, Brian Dunbar said:

> It's not so bad - I used it for a while to share keyboards between my
> laptop and desktop.  The only performance hit I noted was when Outlook
> (on the desktop) had to crank up when the thing would lag and stutter a bit.

I played with it, but couldn't get it work work.

I finally realized that it needed a display on the remote machine to be
up and running, and since my other machines are headless, it would not
function.

If I just want remote display, I can always just use X on them.

> I did give it up - my work cube is not laid out for three monitors so I
> was spending a lot of time cranking my head through 90 degrees* of
> motion to go from terminal to Outlook and back.
>
> *exaggeration but not by much.

I think I'll just stick to X in the rare even I want graphics, and
otherwise use a KVM.

--
shannon           | I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time,