[geeks] Race Tracks

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 21 17:38:16 CDT 2007

Sat, 21 Apr 2007 @ 21:22 +0300, sammy ominsky said:

> On 20/04/2007, at 17:58, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> >> Lane splitting is not only encouraged, it's quasi-mandatory here.  I
> >> was sitting in line at a red light about a year ago and a cop told me
> >> to move up to the light.  On highways, the shoulder is a de facto
> >> motorcycle lane when traffic is backed up.
> >>

> > Where do you live that allows that?
>
> Israel.  Traffic is horrible, drivers are arrogant and
> inconsiderate.
> Anything you can do to get off the road faster is a
> good thing.  In the picture on this page, you can see a scooter on
> the left shoulder.  http://www.ayalonhw.co.il/template/default.asp?
> maincat=6

Scooters and pedal bikes are dangerous, always will be.  Roads just
aren't designed for them.

I used to ride a bike, but I finally quit when I started wondering how
many more times I could get home alive.

> > Around here you can always find the riders that do that: they are the
> > little stains here and there on I64.
>
> Why?

It seems self evident to me it happens because lane splitting is
dangerous. I suppose you disagree, but around here its definitely
dangerous, and it isn't even legal.

*IF* they were "cautiously filtering" it might be OK in some situations,
but that's not what most of them are doing.  They are going a lot faster
than the traffic.

The other issue is that the roads are just not made for it. Roads are
rough in the center, forced lane changes are common, construction is
continuous... it just isn't a good idea.

As a driver I don't like it, because it makes it harder for me to watch
out for them when they come up on me blind, too fast for the traffic,
and in unexpected locations.

--
shannon           | I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time,