[geeks] Race Tracks

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 18 18:43:29 CDT 2007

Tue, 17 Apr 2007 @ 15:45 -0400, James Fogg said:

> > Anyone know of any road courses around that allow public
> > access?  The closer to New York, the better.  Hopefully one
> > that isn't too expensive.
> >   I'm looking to stretch my car's legs.
>

> Ah, yeah.
> Watkins Glenn & Lime Rock. Both famous.
>
> Nobody allows "public" access.

Well, good tracks don't, no.

There are still some local racing clubs that have places to race, but
usually the condition is bad, and/or they are very small.  Old airfields
and freight lots are popular.

Some are well maintained, but others are terribly rough.

There really isn't much in between the expensive tracks and local
autocross type stuff.

About all you can do is visit as many local clubs as you can, and go
see where they race. You might get lucky and find one that has a decent
place to do it.

If you have the money, club tracks are great.

For example...

Virginia International Raceway is a 1950s club track. Membership is
$175/month for NC and VA residents, and $100/month for any other state.
Racing costs between $125 and $150 per day per group. All events at the
track are free for members, and there are other benefits.

Kind of expensive for most people.

However, that's really not a bad price when you consider that some golf
memberships can be many times that.

It must be nice to be able to blow that kind of money to go play on
weekends.

--
shannon           | Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for thou art