[geeks] Race Tracks

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 19:57:01 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> Anyone know of any road courses around that allow public
>>> access?  The closer to New York, the better.  Hopefully one
>>> that isn't too expensive.
>>>   I'm looking to stretch my car's legs.
>>
>> Ah, yeah.
>> Watkins Glenn & Lime Rock. Both famous.
>>
>> Nobody allows "public" access.
>
> Well, good tracks don't, no.

Actually, for my purposes, the quality of the track isn't that
important.  As long as it's smooth enough so my car doesn't get
destroyed, I'll be happy.  For formal stuff, I can get access to Lime
Rock, which is about an hour from here, and they have track days for the
Quattro Club.

> There are still some local racing clubs that have places to race, but
> usually the condition is bad, and/or they are very small.  Old airfields
> and freight lots are popular.

I'd love to find a converted airfield that will let me stretch my car's
legs.  A 5000ft. runway makes a good straightaway, and taxiways make
passable twisties.

> Some are well maintained, but others are terribly rough.

Have any suggestions as to one that is well-maintained?

> About all you can do is visit as many local clubs as you can, and go
> see where they race. You might get lucky and find one that has a decent
> place to do it.
>
> If you have the money, club tracks are great.
>
> For example...
>
> Virginia International Raceway is a 1950s club track. Membership is
> $175/month for NC and VA residents, and $100/month for any other state.
> Racing costs between $125 and $150 per day per group. All events at the
> track are free for members, and there are other benefits.

Have a link?

> Kind of expensive for most people.

I suppose, but many of us have dropped more than $10K on a car to be
used as a toy, so it's really not that big a deal in the grand scheme of
things.

> However, that's really not a bad price when you consider that some golf
> memberships can be many times that.

Many, many, many.  There's a golf club here that charges $100,000/year.

Peace...  Sridhar