[geeks] tax software rant

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Apr 17 14:06:41 CDT 2007

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Tue, 17 Apr 2007 @ 13:10 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
"
" > I don't use online tax-prep sites.  I don't trust them with my financial
" > data.
"
" So, you trust the government with it?

limit your exposure!

i hear repeatedly about -how-many- laptops are missing from the irs,
and that maybe they don't even know if they have accurate numbers...

good news - the omb has ordered - seconded by white house directive -
that all gov xp and vista machines have a secure config trialed by the
usaf [on something like 525000 machines], by a year from now iirc.
vendors will have to stop whining and make their s/w work, but now
they have a single target to aim at.

" The whole thing sucks so bad, I try to just not think about it.

i'm hip, dude.  it's a chinese fire drill in there.  i heard a
spokesman admit they don't even track the low level fraud.