[geeks] Vonage alternative?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Apr 17 13:55:31 CDT 2007

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Tue, 17 Apr 2007 @ 09:38 -0700, Sheldon T. Hall said:
"
" > is always a toll-free call.  Having grown up with that, when I moved to
" > California I was amazed to find that anything over 12 miles was a long
" > distance call.
"
" In Tidewater, Virginia it used to be worse than that.
"
" I could stand on a street and *see* the person I was calling, and it
" would be long distance. There were places where a 1 mile call was long
" distance.
"
" A few years back they finally merged the whole area into one zone.

not that bad here, but i'm on the state line and while several nh
towns were in my lca, salem - bordering my city - was not, and it's
the one with all the stores and contract shops.  i once asked about
that and was told 'calling patterns', but they didn't say -high- or
-low-...  i went with verizon ld as soon as it was offered because
they offered a no-fee tier [they soon fixed that] with a per-minute
little different than their in-state ld, ~1/5 the att rate iirc.

my brother was in a worse situation, living in nj and working in nyc.
he was -thrilled- when nynex and bell atlantic merged.