[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Apr 16 09:53:12 CDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:55:43 +0100
Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:

> > Sure. I can replace that stuff with hand compiled versions. But
> > doing this and not messing up the package management will be
> > cumbersome.
> It's not that difficult really. I've done it with RedHat (a long time
> ago), SuSE and Ubuntu. Simply compile with a different prefix (I
> use /opt but anything will do as long as it isn't /usr). This is
> easiest with applications, but can be done with libraries as well
> although you have to 'fix' the library path to ensure your own
> libraries are linked to rather than the system ones.
Well, fighting with $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and friends is one thing I want to
avoid. E.g. I would have to feed the non-system paths to all autoconf
scripts for software that I build by hand. This will get messy over time
and the more I build by hand the more I can't use from the package
management. (Dependency hell.)

At home I use NetBSD with pkgsrc. pkgsrc makes it quite easy to apply
local patches to packages. There are often build options for packages
that can be set in /etc/mk.conf... I never figured out how to do this
on the usual Linux suspects. (Mostly due to ENOTIME and ENOINTERREST.)

But this gets OT now.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen