[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Sun Apr 15 23:43:23 CDT 2007

>> There is nothing better then a good hand optimized bitmap font on
>> low resolution displays like CRTs and LCDs.
> ...except of course a hand optimized, sub-pixel rendered font which
> looks like it was printed on paper, even on your low rez LCD... :)

"Looks like[sic] it was[sic] printed on paper" only if you count ugly
pixelized fonts on paper - no matter what tricks software pulls, it
isn't going to get anything down finer than the display device can
render.  ("Sub-pixel" is a misnomer; it's just exploiting the way three
physical screen pixels are driven off a single framebuffer pixel by
splitting out the primaries.  It's still going to be in the 100dpi
range, which is horribly coarse for paper.)

I've seen paper printouts with pixels about as large as they are on
screen and to my eye they don't really have anything over pixelized
fonts on screen, except to the extent that paper has advantages over
softcopy in general (which may be many to none, depending on the
context).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca