[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun Apr 15 16:55:43 CDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:00:10 +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Because most KDE "hackers" are Linux weenies, who haven't seen any
> other Unix then Linux.

As mentioned elsewhere, this isn't a new thing. Anyone remember "all
the world's a VAX" ?

> Sure. I can replace that stuff with hand compiled versions. But doing
> this and not messing up the package management will be cumbersome.

It's not that difficult really. I've done it with RedHat (a long time
ago), SuSE and Ubuntu. Simply compile with a different prefix (I
use /opt but anything will do as long as it isn't /usr). This is
easiest with applications, but can be done with libraries as well
although you have to 'fix' the library path to ensure your own
libraries are linked to rather than the system ones.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "Microsoft couldn't get a clue if it were soaked in clue pheromone in