[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 15 16:26:34 CDT 2007

Sun, 15 Apr 2007 @ 20:00 +0200, Jochen Kunz said:

> Because most KDE "hackers" are Linux weenies, who haven't seen any other
> Unix then Linux.

The problem in question is not in the kde code, so it doesn't really
matter who writes KDE.

But regardinf the "Linux weenie" issue:

My view is that OS weenies are pretty much the same all around. The only
real difference is popularity of Linux on the desktop exaggerates their
particular problems.

I guess my view is different because I spent so much of my first years
as a programmer un-Sunifying UNIX code. Sun weenies used to be the
dominant problem children who didn't know there was any other form of
UNIX system, software or hardware.

> > > They support only that TrueType stuff.
> > That's only true if your system is misconfigured.
> That is the problem. All? Many? distributions are misconfigured that
> way.

Most of the desktop oriented ones appear to get it right, if you can
stomach using them. Woe to anyone who wants to build their own things
and make it work with their complicated /etc and package systems.

I can't so I use Slackware. However, Ubuntu seems OK, and if Solaris
supported my sound hardware, I could use it on my desk too.

> E.g. on my Debian box at work I had to compile vim myself to get
> standard X11 fonts. The Debian supplied vim only supported TTF.

Well, I don't really like how Debian does things.  I used to recommend
it for servers, but I'm not sure I'd even do that any more.

They make some odd choices at times, and a lot of political choices all
the time.

> Therefore I disabled anti-aliasing. But many fonts on my work machine
> look bad. See your note about the patented Apple font code and remember
> that most Linux I see is Debian...

There might be a pre-built package for doing this.

Over time, the "free" one is getting better, so many it won't matter in
time.

> Sure. I can replace that stuff with hand compiled versions. But doing
> this and not messing up the package management will be cumbersome.

Could you try Ubuntu instead?  They seem to have fixed most of Debian's
problems.

--
shannon          | If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.