[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Apr 15 13:00:10 CDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 02:16:33 -0400
Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> KDE isn't part of Linux,
I am very well aware of that.

> so what do penguins have to do with it?
Because most KDE "hackers" are Linux weenies, who haven't seen any other
Unix then Linux.

> > They support only that TrueType stuff.
> That's only true if your system is misconfigured.
That is the problem. All? Many? distributions are misconfigured that
way.

E.g. on my Debian box at work I had to compile vim myself to get
standard X11 fonts. The Debian supplied vim only supported TTF.

> > Insted of this I get that bad rendered, antialiased and thus blurry
> > TrueType stuff.
> If your TrueType fonts are blurry, your system is configured for
> anti-aliased fonts.  Anti-aliasing is a blurring technique, so it
> isn't surprising that it makes fonts blurry... :)
Therefore I disabled anti-aliasing. But many fonts on my work machine
look bad. See your note about the patented Apple font code and remember
that most Linux I see is Debian...

Sure. I can replace that stuff with hand compiled versions. But doing
this and not messing up the package management will be cumbersome.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen