[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Apr 16 10:23:40 CDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:26:34 -0400
Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> > Because most KDE "hackers" are Linux weenies, who haven't seen any
> > other Unix then Linux.
> The problem in question is not in the kde code, so it doesn't really
> matter who writes KDE.
You can use KDE as placeholder for other Linux centric projects.

> I guess my view is different because I spent so much of my first years
> as a programmer un-Sunifying UNIX code. Sun weenies used to be the
> dominant problem children who didn't know there was any other form of
> UNIX system, software or hardware.
"All the world is a VAX."

> Most of the desktop oriented ones appear to get it right, if you can
> stomach using them.
That is an other problem. Distribution A has problem 1. So you choose
distribution B. But B will have problem 2...

> Well, I don't really like how Debian does things.  I used to recommend
> it for servers, but I'm not sure I'd even do that any more.
Similar at my work. We use Debian so I use Debian on my desktop at work
to avoid confusion with just an other distribution.

> They make some odd choices at times, and a lot of political choices
> all the time.
Thats the main problem of Debian.

> Could you try Ubuntu instead?  They seem to have fixed most of
> Debian's problems.
I consider moving my machine at work to (U|Ku)buntu instead of Debian
4.0. It seems (U|Ku)buntu fixed at least some of Debians braindeadnes.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen