[geeks] KDE "konsole" cluebat?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 15 01:16:33 CDT 2007

Sat, 14 Apr 2007 @ 09:46 +0200, Jochen Kunz said:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:42:10 -0700
> velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get the terminal font, "terminus" to show up in the font
> > selection list.  I've done the requisite googling (and got Linux
> > refs):
> >  *checked that the bitmap fonts are available to X
> \begin{rant}
> I had similar problems. To me it seems to be: Those clueless KDE coding
> penguin biddys do not support plain, old, standard X11 bitmap fonts.

KDE isn't part of Linux, so what do penguins have to do with it?

I use vanilla fonts in KDE all day long, so I'm not sure what you mean
anyway.

> They support only that TrueType stuff.

That's only true if your system is misconfigured.

> I would like to apply an extensive LART session to them.

Me too, but not because of fonts. They aren't the ones doing the font
work.

Crappy fonts in UNIX is the fault of 20 years of UNIX wars and other
stupidity.

> There is nothing better then a good hand optimized bitmap font on low
> resolution displays like CRTs and LCDs.

...except of course a hand optimized, sub-pixel rendered font which
looks like it was printed on paper, even on your low rez LCD... :)

> Insted of this I get that bad rendered, antialiased and thus blurry
> TrueType stuff.

If your TrueType fonts are blurry, your system is configured for
anti-aliased fonts.  Anti-aliasing is a blurring technique, so it isn't
surprising that it makes fonts blurry... :)

--
shannon           | The grieving lords take ship.  With these our very souls