[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Fri Apr 13 12:42:12 CDT 2007

>> I have one friend who is fluent in something like eight western
>> European tongues and can get by in all but one of the rest.  (The
>> exception is, IIRC, Hungarian.)
> i'm not sure hungarian counts as a western language; it's related to
> finnish, turkish, and mongolian.

Yeah, Finno-Ugric.  Isn't Estonian in there somewhere too?

I suppose Hungarian really is getting over into central Europe more
than western Europe.

The linguist in question is Finnish, and once told me (about Hungarian)
something like "the rhythms and lilt are dead ringers for Finnish - if
I don't listen to it, it sounds like Finnish, but if I pay attention, I
can't make out a word of it".  A rather disorienting experience,
apparently.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca