[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Apr 13 11:44:08 CDT 2007

" From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
"
" > brain scans have shown that people who grew up polyglot use the same
" > language center for all their languages, but people who learn
" > languages when older use a different part of the brain for the new
" > tongue.  i wonder if this takes learning method into account...
"
" I suspect there's also a healthy dose of individual variation involved.

wouldn't surprise me a bit.

" I have one friend who is fluent in something like eight western
" European tongues and can get by in all but one of the rest.  (The
" exception is, IIRC, Hungarian.)  I believe at least some of those were
" learnt as an adult.

i'm not sure hungarian counts as a western language; it's related to
finnish, turkish, and mongolian.  otoh that doesn't stop the
hungarians from proudly celebrating their red-haired celtic roots...
[late 2nd mill bc]