[geeks] Debian 4.0 Bittorrent for DVD

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:35:12 CDT 2007

On 4/12/07, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > There is one Windows client that is sharware. If you pay the fee, it
> > (among other things) improves your download speeds tremendously. It
> > does so by reporting high (false) upload speeds to the tracker.
>
> I know a whole bunch of trackers I use that refuse to talk to clients
> that are well-known to do this sort of thing.

Ditto, most of the private trackers post lists of banned clients and
will ban users/IPs based on "cheating".  The clients may not recognize
your speed, but the trackers seem to be able to correlate what your
client reports vs. what the the other clients report about your upload
traffic.  I have asked about torrentflux, for instance, on one
tracker, but the admins have never given a response as to it's status.

TPB and similar are a different story people use whatever they want,
and I'm sure this is part of the reason that torrents are often so
difficult to complete when the come from such public places.

IMO, like Apache or OpenSSH, uTorrent has pretty much set a bar that's
hard to meet.

=Nadine=