[geeks] Debian 4.0 Bittorrent for DVD

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Apr 12 08:47:35 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:32:32AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> I know a whole bunch of trackers I use that refuse to talk to clients
> that are well-known to do this sort of thing.

How do they know? The client identifies itself. If one were to hack a
client to do this, then one would hack it to identify itself as a permitted
client.

That's why I mentioned sendmail. As soon as one hole is fixed, someone
figures out how to get around it. This also happens with FireFox and Opera,
where you can change the brower identifier.

I don't know if it is publicised or not, but someone wrote an add-on for
Firefox to do this on a site by site basis, so that Israeli government
sites which are IE only can be accessed. Its more than just changing the
ID, because it has to replicate the non-standard right to left font
processing too.

Still without any hacks, variable bandwidth etc, I get what I want. It's
not as fast as living in the U.S. with a TiVo, but it's much faster
than waiting for them to come here.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838