[geeks] Personal Finance Software

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 5 20:45:34 CDT 2007

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Robert Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>> Moneydance?
>
> Hmm.  I've never seen that before.  It looks interesting.  I'll give it
> a try.
>
>> I've bought it and QuickBooks/Quicken, and found that I didn't like
>> any of them.
>
> Quicken is just sort of "ok".  Kinda.  Almost.

It seems each new version of Quicken comes with more unwanted bells and
whistles and makes it harder to work the way I want to (and used to be
able to).  Each time they force an upgrade, it uses more WinXP-esque
screen bling to do less.

>> I worked at a company where we wrote cash management software for the
>> "big banks" BofA, Suntrust, WaMu, etc & 1000s of credit unions. Most
>> use Yodlee for the some parts of their customer banking sites.
>>
>> It's free, and might be what you're looking for.
>
> I don't really want something that requires the network.  I'd rather
> just use something local.  That way, I can keep that machine purposely
> off the network for security purposes.

That.  I want my financial data kept local and safely behind my
firewall.  It's kind of unavoidable my bank knowing where and when I
spend my money, but I'll be damned if I see why anyone else should.

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438