[geeks] What do you get paid for wearing a pager?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sun Sep 24 21:32:54 CDT 2006

> If you do you'll be putting yourself in position for some of
> the worst support experiences of your life and by the end you
> will have spent all the money you earned doing this job and
> will have nothing but burnout, lost time, and bad health.

What he said -

And,
You will lock yourself out of serving other, more profitable clients. I
used to offer a 2hr response and even that killed me. They aren't asking
you because they like you, they think they can squeeze a bargain from a
rube. This shit is for Geek Squad, and they charge a massive amount of
money for it and have enough (poorly trained) people to throw at the
problem. If you had some $5.00/hr idiot that could "stop the clock"
until you arrived it might work, but double your fees AND get them to
sign a contract that charges for a large minimum amount of time per
call, and a large call hour commitment per month.

This advice was paid for with my hide. Take it for what it's worth.