[geeks] FYI - great HP printer tech support page

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Sep 22 14:52:38 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:26:38PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 21 Sep 2006 @ 08:54 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I wanted to share with folks a nice HP printer tech support site -
>> just by browsing their pages Iwas able to learn how to do a cold
>> reset that allowed me to "rescue" a Jetdirect 600N (J3113A) that was
>> set to an odd IP configuration.
>
> [ snip ]
>
> So far, I've had good luck with HP technical information and support.
>
> There are a lot of things they do I don't like, but I do usually find
> what I need from them, either on their website or by calling them.
>
> I like that they keep computer manuals online for years and will still
> talk about them.
>
> They also have gotten better about supporting their printers on Linux
> and BSD systems.
>
> Of course, I'm talking about laser printer support.
>
> They might not be so hot for inkjet support, I don't know.

HP support has long impressed me.  Many years ago, many jobs ago, I was
helping a small university build a new "Science and Technology" wing,
everything that involved any kind of technology went across my desk
for approval.  I also had to get every bit of info about said piece of
technology for the architects, including how much heat it gave off.  The
guy that answered the 800 number at HP support didn't even pause when I
asked him how much heat the printer gave off, "You want that in calories
or BTUs?  Operating or in standby?"  Then he spit out the answer.  I
don't even know that he had to look it up.  Epson, to compare similar
products, had me on hold for 45 minutes.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org