[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 19 23:45:45 CDT 2006

Tue, 19 Sep 2006 @ 13:04 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:11:14PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Go ahead, be silly.
> >
> > No one said encryption was in the cable itself.
> >
> > It's the two ends of the cable that do that.
> >
> > If you don't have the encryption on the two ends, the cable only
> > transmits low quality data.
>
> I have seen several instances of unencrpyted 1920x1080 data, 1280x720
> data, and 1336x768 data over HDMI.  Just because a minority of devices
> will reduce the resolution if the negotiations for encryption fail does
> not mean you have an encrpyted video cable.  The video cable is just
> fine.  The video cable is a few TMDS serial lines, an I2C bus, and an AV
> Link.  Nothing more.

It's not going to be a minority of devices.  The deal being struck
between hardware companies and content owners is to make all new content
only available on compliant technology.

Even if it is a minority, it is one small step to something bad.

All that needs to happen is for a few million sheeple to buy into it,
and the content creators can make good money selling new content *ONLY*
on compliant devices.

Millions of said devices have already been sold: XBOX 360 can fully
support the new DRM schemes, and consumers are lining up in droves for
the Sony PS3, which also can.

The new devices will not have the 1920x1080 and other unencrypted video.
They simple will not produce it.

Yes, you can keep using existing content, just like you can still use
your old VHS tapes, but the point is the future will move away from free
formats.

> If you don't like HDCP, then don't buy devices that insist on it rather
> than blaming the poor HDMI cable.  Better also make sure that the analog
> outputs are cripled on those devices as well.

I won't, but millions of others will.

The number of people who will even pay attention is vanishingly small,
unless the word gets out.

> Meanwhile, enjoy BTTV, OTA, and the few cable or satalite companies that
> supply high quality analog outputs, where you can run them into a PC and
> build your own DVR (granted, it will have some expense to it, and you
> might find you desire a small cluster for transcoding if you record
> enough programs in a given day).

Yes, enjoy it until they all buy into the new scheme, and you won't have
that either.

Satellite can go away in an instant.

The only really safe format is existing hard media, and only while it
physically survives along with players.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]