[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Sep 19 12:04:23 CDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:11:14PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Go ahead, be silly.
>
> No one said encryption was in the cable itself.
>
> It's the two ends of the cable that do that.
>
> If you don't have the encryption on the two ends, the cable only
> transmits low quality data.

I have seen several instances of unencrpyted 1920x1080 data, 1280x720
data, and 1336x768 data over HDMI.  Just because a minority of devices
will reduce the resolution if the negotiations for encryption fail does
not mean you have an encrpyted video cable.  The video cable is just
fine.  The video cable is a few TMDS serial lines, an I2C bus, and an AV
Link.  Nothing more.

If you don't like HDCP, then don't buy devices that insist on it rather
than blaming the poor HDMI cable.  Better also make sure that the analog
outputs are cripled on those devices as well.

Meanwhile, enjoy BTTV, OTA, and the few cable or satalite companies that
supply high quality analog outputs, where you can run them into a PC and
build your own DVR (granted, it will have some expense to it, and you
might find you desire a small cluster for transcoding if you record
enough programs in a given day).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net