[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 19 23:40:45 CDT 2006

Tue, 19 Sep 2006 @ 13:22 -0400, Nadine said:

> On 9/19/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > Here is another problem: because content creators can blacklist devices,
> > if a particular blu-ray drive outputs full quality on the current
> > DVD digital output standard, content creators might blacklist the
> > device, even though it is not designed for piracy.
> >
> > I think you can see a number of obvious problems with blacklisting.
> >
> > Imagine Sony refuses to make a deal with Hollywood.  Suddenly it finds
> > its players blacklisted by a vengful studio.
> >
> > Maybe it isn't likely, but I'm worried that the technology makes that
> > sort of stupidity possible.
>
> Given that Sony owns a huge chunk of the intellectual property in the
> entertainment industry, I consider it unlikely.

Sony was just an example of course, because they are fairly powerful.

However, I would never say it cannot happen, because they also have made
some serious enemies as well.

No one in that business like each other.

> However, for any
> small hardware start-ups, yes, this is what I would call "chilling".

No kidding.

> Face it, DRM locks out the small guys, which is just what the media
> conglomerates want.  The inter-relationship of content distributors,
> the controllers of the delivery mechanisms, and their influence on the
> majority of content producers pretty much guarantees where this is all
> leading.  Consumers will be spoon-fed "culture" on a pay-per-view
> basis.

But look at the colors and the resolution!  :/

It reminds me of an event locally.

Wal-Mart asked city council if they could bulldoze one of the oldest
communities in town, along with several of the last farms on the
northside (the peninsula where Hampton and Newport News VA are).

A lot of locals fought it, with a combination of bitching, poisoning the
deal, and lot's of feedback to government officials.

I was trying to enlist a friend of mine to help fight it.  I told him
that Wal-Mart was going flatten a few dozen acres of historical
landmarks.  His response: "Yeah, but they have better prices than the
local stores, and they have more of it."

The sheeple are their own worst enemy.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]